NHFIC is a corporate Commonwealth entity with the purpose of improving housing outcomes for Australia.
NHFIC aims to achieve its purpose by:
- Strengthening efforts to increase the supply of housing
- Encouraging investment in housing, particularly in the social or affordable housing sector
- Providing finance, grants or investments that complement, leverage or support Commonwealth, state or territory activities relating to housing
- Contributing to the development of the scale, efficiency and effectiveness of the community housing sector in Australia.
- Assisting earlier access to the housing market for eligible home buyers via the Home Guarantee Scheme.
How NHFIC achieves its purpose
- Through the Affordable Housing Bond Aggregator (AHBA), NHFIC provides low-cost, longer tenor loans to registered community housing providers to support the provision of more social and affordable housing. NHFIC funds AHBA loans by issuing social bonds into the wholesale capital market with the benefit of a Commonwealth guarantee.
- NHFIC manages the $1 billion National Housing Infrastructure Facility (NHIF) which offers concessional loans, grants and equity funding to help support critical housing-enabling infrastructure.
- NHFIC provides grants for capacity building services to assist CHPs in applying for NHFIC finance.
- NHFIC administers the Home Guarantee Scheme to support eligible home buyers to purchase a home sooner.
- NHFIC undertakes independent research into housing supply, demand and affordability in Australia, including looking at current and potential gaps between supply and demand across housing sub-markets. NHFIC complements existing research, reflecting on the adequacy of construction rates and land supply to meet future housing needs.
NHFIC's Strategic objectives
To help deliver on its purpose, NHFIC set five strategic objectives focused on building the business and continuing to embed best-practice systems, processes and governance practices into operations.
The strategic objectives are to:
- facilitate the sustainable growth of the community housing sector across Australia
- facilitate investment to increase the supply of housing, and in particular affordable housing
- strengthen stakeholder relationships that support better housing outcomes
- deliver high-performance organisation practices and outcomes
- establish a best-practice governance regime.
NHFIC’s strategic objectives reflect that the organisation is maturing and progressing from a build phase of operations to an innovation and growth phase. NHFIC is well positioned for continued success as the business adapts to the needs of its clients and the changing operating environment.
Read more about our strategy in the NHFIC Corporate Plan 2022-23.