The key features of the three Guarantees are outlined in the HGS Comparison Table below. This information is provided as a guide for home buyers and does not confirm that a home buyer will secure a Guarantee or loan from a Participating Lender.
|First Home Guarantee (FHBG)||Regional First Home Buyer Guarantee (RFHBG)||Family Home Guarantee (FHG)|
|Places FY2022-23||35,000 places||10,000 places||5,000 places|
|Borrower eligibility||Single and couple(1) applicants|
Single and couple(1) applicants
Must have lived in the regional area(2) or adjacent regional area they are purchasing in for the preceding 12-month period to the date they execute the home loan agreement.
Australian Defence Force members may be partially exempt(3)
|Single parent with at least one dependent child|
|Purchasing history||First home buyers||First home buyers||First home buyers or previous home owners(4)|
|Property type||New and existing homes(5)||New and existing homes(5)||New and existing homes(5)|
|Purchase location||All Australia||Regional areas only(2)||All Australia|
|Property price caps||Same for all Guarantees|
(1) Couples are only eligible if they are married or in a de-facto relationship. Other persons buying together, including siblings, parent/child or friends, are not eligible.
(2) A regional area is defined by the Australian Bureau of Statistics as an Australian Statistical Geography Standard 2016 Statistical Area Level 4 (ASGS SA4 2016). These areas are based on population density and labour markets and vary in size reflecting these criteria. The greater capital city areas of each state and the Northern Territory; and the entire Australian Capital Territory are excluded from the RFHBG.
(3) Australian Defence Force member applicants may be eligible for a partial exemption and should check with their Participating Lender if this applies.
(4) Applicants can be either first home buyers or previous owners who do not currently own a home. An applicant must not currently have a freehold interest in real property in Australia, a lease of land in Australia or a company title interest in land in Australia.
(5) For a property to be eligible it must be a 'residential property' - this term has a particular meaning under the Home Guarantee Scheme. Contact a Participating Lender for more information or to discuss personal circumstances.